maandag 18 februari 2013

Cartoons and my sculptures


I love cartoons! It might not be something a ‘serious artist’ would admit, but they inspire me. Sometimes I get the impression that there are a lot of artists taking this business very seriously and need to come with a piece of art with a heavy message and a dark installation. Well, I do like to put a message forward, but not after I have decided how it roughly should look like. Most of my work starts with creating an imperfect character in my head and then use it to express a meaning. This way it might sound far fetched to add this meaning, but there is a lot of trial and error involved to express it. You only see the end result. Sometimes I work the other way around but the visual effect is my main concern!

So if my main concern is to build an imperfect freak, what inspires me? Well, cartoons are full of them. My love for cartoons and the fact I am still a child within, made me want to make cartoon characters. There is a lot more expression in the faces of a cartoon character then most actors can achieve in a film. I have tried to make a list of cartoons that influence my work, or better, cartoons I think of while creating a character. I will start with Johnny Bravo and Spongebob Squarepants And write separate posts about the other main cartoons:

Johnny Bravo
Johnny Bravo is a flawed character and is what makes him funny. Johnny is someone who thinks he is a hot strong character but the viewer gets a different picture. Probably not a coincidence of the makers to give him a disproportionate physique; a lot bigger upper body compared with his legs. I have seen this a lot among people training to get a physical appealing figure. They want to have big upper body muscles and have matchsticks underneath, hilarious!
I watched this a lot while I actually had to go to courses at University, same accounts for Spongebob Squarepants, playing cards, do athletics and mountain biking.

Spongebob Squarepants
One of the few more modern cartoons I like to watch. I don’t like the real actor programs they make for kids these days. Hated them when I was young and still do. So it is very satisfying to see kids get some new proper oldskool entertainment! Generally I like to watch cartoons in the language it was made in, but this is an exception. The voice of Spongebob in the Dutch version is hilarious! I think this cartoon is really well made and a nice change to have a cartoon in a submarine world, it plays with the imagination.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten